The Student News Site of JC Booth Middle School

Zooming in On Brody B.: 6th Grade Soccer Champ

January 23, 2021

The sun shines brightly overhead, illuminating the playing field around Brody B. The blue of the sky contrasts deeply with the green grass at his feet. He swiftly kicks the black and white ball across the expanse. He and his teammates know exactly how to combine their efforts and achieve a victory. 

J.C. Booth sixth-grader Brody B. is an avid soccer player who plays for the Atlanta United Youth team, which, in his words is the “best of the best.” 

But Brody did not join this club through chance or luck, but hard work and dedication. 

He started playing soccer at three or four years old and didn’t always play for his current team. “I played for AFC,” he disclosed in an interview. Brody was accepted to his current team when he was in third grade. “The Atlanta United coaches [came to] our former clubs… and scouted us. And then they brought us to this like training camp. It was like every Friday for like 10 weeks. And so basically after that, if you were good enough…you made the team,” Brody said.

His team consists of sixth and seventh graders, aged 11-12, and they practice at the Atlanta United facility in Marietta. “[The fields] are very nice. There’s…a lot of them. There’s this huge modern building that we get to go in sometimes…” Brody said. “The pros have two very nice, like great, grass fields. And then, like, from u12 to u19 you play on turf.”

Besides the great opportunities, being on the Atlanta United Youth team has some other great advantages. “Last year we went to Florida and then we went to Kansas City, and we didn’t have to pay for any of it…” Brody said. “We get, like, we get free cleats, we get [uniforms], we get everything for free.”

Brody’s aspirations reach further than his current success, though. “Hopefully, I want to go pro,” Brody said, as well as expressing his wish to play for the professional Atlanta United team. 

Brody’s success story proves that even at middle school age, you can achieve your goals with persistence and determination.

View Comments (4)

Warrior Times • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

4

Comments (4)

All Warrior Times Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• T

Tripp KellyFeb 25, 2021 at 2:00 pm

This story shows how hard champions and people who love their sport work. It’s just crazy how he played at the age three and he is still going. Its awesome how hard he worked, then he became a champion.

Reply
  • R

Rune AndersonFeb 25, 2021 at 1:51 pm

Brody is an amazing talent that loves the game of soccer. He has the determination and hard work to go anywhere in life, and he will stop at nothing to achieve his goals. All that Brody has worked on from age 3 to 12 really is fascinating. From being his friend in real life and seeing his skill first hand he really is an amazing player; he can fight and beat any obstacle in his way.

Reply
  • R

Rafael TrevinoFeb 25, 2021 at 8:02 am

I really think he could make it pro.

Reply
  • S

Samuel KingFeb 2, 2021 at 10:35 am

This story shows how determination and hard work can pay off after years of training. It’s also amazing how he started playing soccer from 3-4 years.

Reply